Monday, November 30, 2009

Vegan No More

You may recall that I started a vegan diet about 2 months ago.  I have had to give it up.  Since my hypomania a couple of weeks ago the protracted withdrawal has just been getting steadily worse.  Yesterday was the worst.  After breakfast I had to lie down again, it felt like my blood sugar was low, even though I'd just eaten, and my blood pressure felt really low too, I thought I was going to pass out while lying down.  I was taking a ton of Total Amino Solutions (TAS), and it wasn't helping. In fact, I was starting to suspect that I was actually taking too much TAS.  I needed another way to get more protein into my system, because the vegetable proteins didn't seem to be doing the job.  I made a tuna sandwich.

It didn't help right away, in fact, I continued to get worse for a while.  But after about 6 hours I started to feel appreciably better.  I ate the rest of the tuna and felt quite good last night.  This morning I had my usual oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast, which most people would agree is a nutritious meal, but the protracted withdrawal symptoms were bad again until I had some salmon at lunch.  It seems pretty clear now that I have to find a way to include animal protein at every meal.

I am VERY disappointed.  I am not worried about the animals, but I really prefer to eat a plant-based diet.  My reflux has practically disappeared since I went vegan.  It is just more fun eating plants, it is easier to cook, and I never feel weighed down after a meal.

All day I have been wracking my brain trying to think what to eat now.  Dairy is the real problem for my reflux, and I don't like eggs.  I like seafood and beef, but chicken and pork have to be heavily sauced and flavoured or I don't like them.  You can see why vegan is the obvious choice for me.  Some Japanese people eat fish 3 times a day, but I don't think I could, and there is the mercury to consider.  Hmm.  It's tricky.  Something somewhere is going to have to give, I think.